Saturday, August 16, 2014

Blogging: The Plan

    Today, I have been reflecting on the three topic paper:  Critical Reading and Reflection Skills, How to Sharpen Your Critical Reading Strategies and Reader's Reaction to the Reading. Information shared with us via the University of Dayton.

    The first paragraph, "Critical Reading and Reflection Skills" was a good reminder of high school English 101.  All suggestions in this paragraph served to jog my memory and I could see myself in my mind's eye performing the tasks of preview, set time, underline, read, take notes, review notes, think about what you've read.  Thank you.

     Moving along to the next topic, "How to Sharpen Your Critical Reading Strategies" what struck me was the very first sentence, "be aware of your previous knowledge and value assumptions on the topic".  Why?  Because I've a tendency to remove myself and analyze just the facts from which to formulate an educated opinion.  It will definitely be a challenge to take into consideration what I already know and think without sounding in my view like an opinionated so and so.  In my experience, some people formulate their opinion and decisions based on their assumptions of a situation or person, not concrete fact/evidence and end up being incorrect, grossly incorrect.  Or worse, based on information/opinions given to them by others.  They end up looking foolish.  Never do they retract or apologize as if it is beneath themselves to have made a mistake.  This sin of arrogance is found everywhere.  I never want to fall to it.
     
     The final topic, "Reader's Reaction to the Reading is what shall be the content of my blog.
Right on the page are the five questions whose answers will become the content of my ACM Journal Blog.  It will be a definite challenge to find the time to evaluate, but all things worth anything require a time investment and much sacrifice.

     I am grateful for this one page document of critical information.  I have printed it out to carry inside of the book or article I will be reading and have taken notes in my notebook, both will serve to remind me.  

     
     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment