Thursday, September 4, 2014

WIIFM or What's In It For Me?

     The second essay I've read has a title of "Theological Reflection: the Minister's Path to Holiness."  This title caught my eye as I originally went through the assignment. Specifically it was the word, Holiness.  Why?  I think that my whole life today is focused in trying to be holy and good.  I've not always had this as my focus, nor have I always been holy and good.  It's hard.  My interest was peaked. What's in it for me, (WIIFM an acronym I learned in business over twenty years ago.)  Maybe there is something in it for me?

     What the article suggests is a methodology or process for Theological Reflection.  The ideas presented were for a group and very much reminded me of the team I was on for many years on that discussed and reflected upon issues related to women and minorities at a corporate level.  At some point, we would make recommendations at the Executive and Vice Presidential levels, even meeting with the Chief Executive Officer several times.  In hindsight, this was very interesting and stimulating work.  It was also fun to travel to the headquarters in San Francisco to see how the 1% live or at least work. The opportunity took me to workplaces in Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego etc.. To date, I appreciate that time and the learning experience very much.

     The correlations to Jean Flannelly's ideas are:  group, facilitator, time constraints, vocabulary, clarification of event or details.  I suppose if I were to initiate a minister's meeting for Theological Reflection that besides a facilitator I would be inclined to assign a time-keeper and a note-taker.

     The meeting for me would be different because of the impact of any discussion around faith and because of the diversity of opinions, beliefs, knowledge and experience the discussion may or may not give rise to questions of the heart and of ministry.

     The group facilitator is not only the primary role but the most important role in the managing of the vocalization of ideas and the allowing of the Holy Spirit to flourish within the thinking and verbalizing of ideas of each participant.

     Understanding a little more about Theological Reflection and the work of the Holy Spirit in it, I' concluded that Theological Reflection can be of great value.  I understand the value of group interaction and dynamics, especially when participants feel free and safe to add to the discussion and decision-making.

     In ministry, will the politics working within a parish off-set the validity of such a group dynamic or are members of such a ministry groups willing to forgo politics for the truth and growth?  Will the dynamics of established relationships be put aside for the common good and for the deepening of understanding of any issue? Yes, I hope so, because that's "What's In It For Me!"

    Yes, a truly open environment may produce much fruit.  Will we let the Holy Spirit enter into the discussion, the perceptions, the understanding and bring hearts to a deeper place where LOVE may flourish within each heart, especially within self?



No comments:

Post a Comment