Thursday, September 4, 2014

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

     ACTION!  I've never heard the phrase Service Learning until I first read the article, "Service Learning in Theology and Religious Studies Department".  This essay made reference to a study that the author, John R. Zaums, Ph.D. that collected data on five different, yet similar forms of Service Learning.

     Having worked for a major telecommunications corporation which valued "volunteerism" and having come from a family which role-modeled service to the parish and the community at large, I find it amazing that in some ways people have to be tortured into this type of service.  I suppose instead of getting a grade the corporation valued the recognition of having the most people represented in the yearly Aids Walk L.A. or the most money collected in the March of Dimes, or the most pints of blood donated to the Red Cross and on and on.

     Whatever we call it or whatever the motivation service is good and service learning is even better.  I know from experience that looking into the eyes of a homeless woman as she drinks her tea and eats the breakfast sandwich you've just given her that your heart is very present.

     I know first hand the disappointment in handing out a blanket to a homeless person and later finding out that the blanket was sold to another homeless person.  I didn't always see the face of Jesus.  But the more I acted the more compassion grew.  With each interaction, I was forever changed; my heart changed.  It was hard to know where the fine line between my job and helping the poor was.

     Service Learning for persons growing in faith is, in my humble opinion extremely important to move hearts and that is what we are called to do.  We are called to bring Jesus to those who don't know him and we are called to act in love and compassion towards our brothers and sisters.

     For teens growing through Confirmation or the adult learners in RCIA, service learning as part of the curriculum provides an opportunity to grow in the love of Jesus, in the love of self and neighbor.  Love is ever dynamic, ever changing.  Each experience brings a newness to the level of mercy and compassion.  Growth in love, a change of heart occurs whether one is cognizant of the change or not.

     Faith is a life-long journey.  It's for everyone.  Service Learning in Theological Reflection is like a garden flourishing with flowers of all different sizes, types and colors; everyone is invited to the party.  The initial steps are sometimes uneasy.  Roadblocks sometimes enter into the picture, but focus on holiness and emulation of the Christ to put it into perspective. Am I ready to love like Jesus loves me, unconditionally?  Am I ready to share the grace so that others may receive it?  Do I see the face of Jesus in everyone who crosses my path?  Am I ready to help others know Jesus, know themselves through Service Learning?  Am I ready to grow to an adult faith and that of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment