Thursday, April 2, 2015

Who Will Be God's Mercy?



     Who will be God's mercy? Some people want it to be the government. Some governments want it to be the people. Today, Pope Francis washed the feet of twelve inmates and said Mass at a prison in Rome. It is written that some of the inmates were so moved; they cried. Pope Francis asked for prayers for his cleansing as well. He, Francis is a brave man who takes the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy very seriously and puts them into action. Many of his actions made into tweets or, are seen on Facebook or elsewhere as if they are something brand new. A novelty, something no one has ever heard or seen.
     In the essay titled, "The Works of Mercy - Heart of Catholic Identity" Fr. James F. Keenan, S.J. opens his writing with the question, "Could mercy be the trademark for Catholicism?" He speaks to the fact that Catholicism has many similarities to other Christian religions and even the Muslim and Jewish Faiths in that the basic tenet is there are people of goodwill everywhere. 
Fr. Keenan goes on to state that the Works of Mercy are uniquely Catholic. But, I am not so sure. His message:  people of goodwill are everywhere. I think, even some people who claim no faith or religion are merciful under the guise of volunteerism. And, in volunteering, their hearts are moved.
     It seems in today's society the Spiritual Works of Mercy are much more difficult than the Corporal Works of Mercy. In my humble opinion, it is here within these seven actions that most people would find difficulty. They are actions that require the involvement of emotions and socioeconomic ideologies and in some cases the end of generational prejudices. Some people are quick to label such topics as political. Think for a minute how many times you've heard someone say, I am not saying anything to anyone. It is none of my business. Police brutality in another state, as long as it doesn't happen here, I don't care. I don't think Father has to speak about abortion and the death penalty at the homily. Oh no! So and so is on her soapbox again. I don't like to see things that involve politics online.
    For me, forgiving someone is very hard.  Especially, when the person thinks they are right and repeatedly continue the same behaviors towards me. It's those who think they know me, when in reality if you examine the relationship are just an acquaintance. It's those who think they know what's best for a person and speak for me or make decisions for me. In reality, they have no clue and do more harm to me than they know. Some people break promises to me. That gets under my skin. I pray. I eventually forgive. But, it takes a long, long time. I pray about it a lot and think about how I need to forgive myself. Sometimes, I speak with someone as it helps me to verbalize my feelings in order to get over them. I need to show myself some mercy as should I not forgive, well, you know, I will not be forgiven.
     Lots of times today, people say I don't have time, or I am old now I have already done my service for others while my children were growing up.  How does one measure a love of neighbor?  Tithe $100. per week to the church? Clean out the cupboard of outdated cans and donate them to a food pantry or clean the closets and donate the stuff that is old or stained? Buy something new and donate it. That would be fresh!
     As a human being in the world, a Catholic Christian human being, enough is never enough. God's work is never done. There are people in need all over the earth. Addressing the spiritual (soul), and corporal (body) needs of each other is never ending. Some people suffer in this world, and some people answer Jesus' call to be neighbor; to be a neighbor is to practice the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy.  In showing mercy to self, one becomes the neighbor. In becoming neighbor, one becomes God's mercy. There is no longer a question of race, color, gender, religion, legal status, education, sexuality, marital status, disability, socio-economic standing, etc. There is only the mercy of Jesus shared freely and without question, without a need for an answer. All are worthy. That is the message of Pope Francis. He lives that message day by day. He is a role-model for our times.

     Now, that Lent is over, who will remain in collaboration with the Holy Spirit and Pope Francis at Eastertime and the remainder of life? Who? Who will be God's mercy?




Credits:   Corporal Works of Mercy courtesy of Facebook.com/The Catholic Connection
Spiritual Works of Mercy courtesy of www.ignitumtoday.com
Catholic Update April 2010 #C0410:  The Works of Mercy - Heart of Catholic Identity, St. Anthony Messenger Press, Cincinnati OH.


No comments:

Post a Comment