Friday, October 10, 2014

What? I Should Read More? But Why?

Last Saturday, I had the opportunity and privilege to have Fr. Patrick Mullen as teacher and speaker at my Advanced Catechetical Ministry class. The topic: Revelation! Originally, I like many students have thought that this topic title meant the Book of Revelation. I for one was intimidated by the title thinking that the doomsday, end of the world information would be too daunting, too depressing. At the same time, it perked my interest. I've always thought well, good old John must have gotten too much sun, must have eaten too much honey and eaten too many locusts. I did need to learn more.

Instead, this particular session was on Scripture, the Bible. The Bible! The story of people in a place and time long ago and the story of Jesus. How we came to have the Bible. Something that has always seemed as if it was much too much reading for me! But to my delight, I found myself so engaged in what Fr. Pat had to say. His delivery was easy, and very comprehensible. He spoke to us, not at us and most importantly not above us. I came away thinking wow, if somehow I could have all the knowledge he has through some sort of osmosis. Someone, somewhere has to be working on such a technology! It will be none too soon for me!

The session included such things as: how to read the Bible, how to choose a Bible, the history of the Bible, the language, culture, history and time of the the people of the Bible etc. . But the most important question for me was "Why Study the Bible?" The answer is as simple as it is complex, to know God. TO KNOW GOD?

Now, all my life since a little girl I have had a yearning deep down inside of my being to know God, to grow closer to Him. I equate the gift of spirituality to the quality of the the relationship to God in the Trinity. My relationship with Him falls back on the teachings of my grandparents and the nuns who taught me. My devotions and ministry learned through their example and those of my parents and aunts and uncles: the Cross, the Rosary, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, My Guardian Angel, participating in Advent and Lenten Retreats and Missions,  teaching the faith, working fiestas. Searching my whole life for something more is why I am on this journey of faith. I want to know Him that made me. Oh yes! And I have lots of questions about that!

Back to Revelation. I believe after listening to Father Mullen that the Bible is the history of God's communication with world civilization throughout time, and with His people as originally recorded through oral history both in the Old and New Testament. Over time, it was translated into various languages and as we as a modern society learn more about the time, culture and language that it is necessary to fine tune words and their true meaning. That the teachings must be interpreted for our times and peoples to our people and its times. That it was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I hope that in earnest you go along on this journey with me and in silence contemplate the following Scripture passages so as to find Truth:
John 1:1-4, John 20: 30-31, Isaiah 55:10-12, John 21:24-25. Thank you for these Father Pat Mullen and for your great wisdom, knowledge and insight into God.

I will read to understand. I will read to believe. I will read for healing, and I will read to know and love even more tomorrow than today, the Divine. I will share what I learn with others.

1 comment:

  1. Is it the Vincentian father Pat Mullen (C.M.)? I went to school with him. I think I know a Fr. Pat Mullen who is a Dominican too, but he might not be a priest any more, not sure.

    ReplyDelete